• The Grace of the Second Thought

     


    Have you ever taken a side in an argument and five minutes later thought:


    “Yeah... that was stupid.”

    "I don't really believe that."

    "But since I started here, I better keep going.


    Deny, deflect, double down. 


    Our first thought gets us there, and pride keeps us there


    So Jesus gives us a story about a father who asks his two sons to go work in the vineyard.


    The first one says, “Nope. Not going.

    But then he thinks about it, changes his mind, and goes.


    The second son says, “Absolutely, Dad. I’m on it.”


    But he never goes.


    And Jesus asks: Which one actually did what the father wanted?


    The first one.


    And I love this because Jesus offers everyone of us a way out when we get in over our heads:


    Your first thought doesn’t have to be your final thought

    Your first reaction doesn’t have to define you.


    You can reconsider.

    You can apologize.

    You can change your mind.

    You can change your habits.

    You can change direction.


    In fact, if we’re going to experience the life God wants for us, we HAVE to change.


    Because sometimes our first thought comes from fear.

    Or anger.

    Or ego.

    Or prejudice.

    Or just plain stubbornness.


    But then comes 'the grace of the second thought.'


    That little moment when the Spirit whispers:


    “Maybe there’s another way.”


    And that's a beautiful thing:


    God doesn't require us to have gotten it right the first time.


    God wants us to be willing to change direction.


    So today, give yourself permission to have a second thought, to shift course, to alter direction.


    Because change isn't always weakness.


    Sometimes... It's the strongest thing you can do. 


  • 0 comments:

    Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430