• Lots of Hyphens

     

    I was talking about religion the other day...
    (I know it's a surprising admission from a priest...)

    And my friend said something I hear a lot, ”At the end of the day the only thing that matters is whether or not you're a good person."

    I immediately thought of how this suggests some kind of heavenly point system. Faithful spouse, check; honest worker, check; thoughtful neighbor, check; Kind to puppies, check... Just do these things and you're a 'good person' and eligible for God's favor.

    This hits me sideways because God isn't one whose favor I earn, buy, or have to work for. God's all-consuming, ever-present, over-the-top love (I know, that's a lot of hyphens) does not hinge on my performance.

    I'm not out to do good to get God's favor, I do good because I already have God's favor.

    Shattering divine preconceptions is at play this Sunday when the imprisoned John the Baptist sends messengers to Jesus because John is not recognizing God in him: "The Messiah I'm looking for would raise an army, overthrow the government, and get me away from this prison food!"

    But Jesus' idea of liberation is much greater. He tries to tell this to John, recounting how the good news of liberty, healing, and freedom is being proclaimed in word and deed. Jesus is saying that John's conception of who God is and how God works needs some fine-tuning.

    And that's what Advent is all about.

    Too many of us are walking around with a burden on our backs: If I just work harder, be more generous, say more prayers, go to church more often, etc.
    We think that God has high standards because I do.
    And we fail to see that we're engaging in a kind of spiritual narcissism, that God can't accept me until I accept me.

    Jesus wants us to know that no matter what we've done, are doing, or will do, we are loved and accepted by God.
    You mean God loves sinners?
    Well, yes
    Even when they're sinning.
    Is there another time?

    This means our Advent preparation is trading these less-helpful conceptions of God for this idea that God is on our side!
    God is that obnoxious fan in the stands, cheering us on so loudly, not caring what people think.
    The only work we have is to wake up, look around, and accept that love.
    We're worth coming down from heaven to be with! 
  • 0 comments:

    Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430