• I Think I Can, I Think I Can...


    My first year of high school track, I entered a race I didnt finish.

    It as the 2 mile, which meant 8 laps around the track.
    Exhausted after 6 laps, I skirted off the track and ran into the storage garage, where I flopped onto the high jump pad. Gasping for breath, I eventually regained my composure, tried to dream up some lame excuse, and unsuccessfully evaded the coach’s wrath. This was not my finest hour.

    Quitting makes us embarrassed, ashamed, and sad.
    I was disappointed in myself and literally felt worth less.

    Years later when I went on to actually finish races, I won a few and did well in others. 

    Persistence, though harder than quitting, leads to accomplishment and builds a sense of self-worth.
    Not wonder I felt proud, satisfied, and like I had been true to myself and my calling.

    This Sunday we will hear Jesus tell an iconic story of perseverance - about a man who won’t quit knocking until his request is fulfilled. Jesus commends this, and we think we know why - because we feel happier and more fulfilled when we take the harder, but more rewarding road of perseverance.

    What are we currently facing that’s demanding persistence?
    What project or relationship?

    Let us remember that our perseverance will make us proud - for our hardest times often lead to our greatest moments - so let us not avoid failing as much as quitting.
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430