• Life Is About Surrender, Not Control


    I was having dinner with my friends Jack and Geri. They are parents of three college age children. Out of the blue, Geri said, “You know, I was married before I met Jack.” I said I didn’t know that.” She said, “Ya, for a couple of years. I really liked him, but he had an affair, and we split.”

    I didn’t know what to say, which was good because she quickly filled the void by adding, “It was the best thing that ever happened to me.”

    Now at the time I suspect she did not describe her husband’s adultery with the same glowing appreciation.

    However, through the lens of time and context, things eventually became very clear that a different life with a different man, and with three simply fabulous children had been the yet-to-be-revealed plan all along.

    Geri had her plans, God had his.

    In Sunday’s gospel Jesus’ two best friends approach him with their plans. Jesus is very patient and diplomatic in telling them that they basically have no idea what they’re talking about. 

    God often says that to you and me. How blindly we move through life, creating anthills of knowledge to bolster our illusions of control. Realtors tell us we rarely know which house will make us content. Car salesmen know we usually don’t know exactly what car will delight us. Psychologists tell us we really don’t know what will make us happy.

    And while we’re tempted to wallow in our inadequacies, God reminds us that that’s how the universe is built – plans come on a need to know basis. It is putting our trust in that benevolent force that is working through our hands and minds and hearts that becomes our work.

    Life is about surrender, not control.

  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430