• Just Imagine


    It takes me weeks to paint a room.

    No, I’m not a bad painter, I’ve been doing it for years. In fact once I get started it only takes me a couple of hours.

    Here’s what takes me so long: I begin with the fact that the room needs painting. Then I mentally walk through the steps needed to get the job done: calling my sister for paint colors; remembering where the drop cloths and paintbrushes are stored. Then I imagine where I’ll start painting, usually the ceiling, but then the walls and trim. I imagine dipping the brush into the paint, and if I will use a roller or not.

    In other words, most of the time I spend painting is done inside my head – visualizing what might become of an ugly room.

    When we hear Jesus talk about faith – and the believing that precedes the seeing – I think this is close to what he meant.

    Visualizing shoppers in downtown Detroit is where Mike Illich begins.
    Daydreaming about hundreds of people using Lanier copiers is where my top salesman friend Chris tees off.
    And imagining drinking a beer without a cigarette is where my friend Michelle started.

    While few of us believe, “if it can be imagined, it can be done” – we are certainly wise to believe that, “if it can be imagined, most things can be done.”

    What do we need to start daydreaming about? What is the Spirit asking us to imagine? Do we realize that visualizing is often more than half the battle?
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430