• Endurance


    Once again this Sunday’s gospel paints me a scenario about what being a disciple is all about that I can, in no way, relate to.

    I have not been through insurrections or wars, famines or plagues, nor arrested and brought before kings and governors because of my faith. My parents and relatives have not betrayed me. I know no one, personally, who has been put to death.

    The biggest danger I’ve faced was wearing my U-of-M t-shirt to the game only to find my seat was in the student section on the M-S-U side.

    Sure, times have changed, but the call of Christ that asks us to do really difficult things, has not.

    So one of my biggest challenges is not being attacked as much as it is being apathetic. Given the economic, vocational, and family constraints we all face, making time for God – and convincing myself that God’s mission is really important becomes difficult.

    Plus, there’s an ever-present temptation not to believe in the first place. How do we make sense of our very cruel world - where a typhoon takes 10,000 lives at a swipe? Where a pimp gets paid extra to furnish a 12-year? And where a hospital emergency room fills up with the tiny victims of another school shooting?

    In the walk of faith, endurance isn’t just putting up with interrogation room beatings, it’s about doing our best to believe when so much that surrounds us is trying to convince us that it doesn’t really matter.

    So don’t go there. Keep the faith. By your endurance you will gain your souls.

    -----------------
    Reading
    Unapologetic – Francis Spufford
    Making Sense of the Cross – David Lose

    Animate – Augsburg Fortress Publishing
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430