• Good News?



    My tux was sharp, my hair was trimmed, and my fly was down.

    That’s how I started off the evening as I entered a crowded fundraiser for a well known non-profit.

    I mixed and mingled with the well-coifed crowd, appearing with many friends in many photographs that attest to my appearance.

    Then, as Master of Ceremonies I took to the podium and was just about to begin my remarks when a dear friend leaned over and finally told me, ‘Chris, your barn door is open.’

    Sure enough, white polka dot undies and all, were quite visible as I began the mental calculations: ‘Did this happen at home? How long have I looked like this? Who’s probably seen this?...’

    I also wondered what things would’ve been like had I gone much farther – and exposed myself (literally) to TV cameras and a much larger crowd of people.

    That’s when the nature of my friend’s comment hit me. While, no one likes to be told their fly is down, my friend had given me the best gift I would receive that night. The truth is good news.

    This Sunday you and I will hear the story of crowds coming out to hear John the Baptist who tells them they’re vipers, warns them that God’s wrath is coming for them, belittles their faith, and threatens them with fiery punishment. And this is called ‘good news.

    Why? Because it’s the truth.

    Good news is not simply comfort, security, relief, and consolation. Good news is when truth comes to town – when we’re shown who we are, where we are, and what’s really happening.

    What ‘good news’ are we shunning, avoiding, or choosing not to pay attention to? How is God using our critics to truth-tell? How might we make more time to ponder the hard but true words that are trying to bring us Good News?

    -----------------
    Reading
    The Leadership Triangle – Kevin Ford
    Paul – Donald Coogan
    Naked Spirituality – Brian McLaren
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430