• Advent Decluttering



    The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

    Duh.

    Then how come the things I want to do I never get to do because I always seem to be doing something else?

    Life gets cluttered doesn’t it?

    Take my bookshelf for example, here’s where I collect the books whose reading I believe will make me a better pastor and Christ follower.



    When we put that bookcase there, and hung that diploma there, our décor scheme didn’t really call for me to stack all those books exactly where they rest.

    So during Advent I’m clearing them off, one by one, and by Christmas the stack will be gone.

    It’s my Advent metaphor. What’s yours?

    As we will hear on Sunday, Advent calls us to ‘Prepare the way of the Lord’ by making paths straight. No more meandering and mulling around, just beelines. Advent is the kick in the pants we may need to finish that project, clean off that plate, delegate this task, reassign that chore, or even eliminate it altogether.

    It’s because Jesus is coming, not just on December 25th, but at any moment.
    We’re only a grace away from a car wreck, blood clot, or even that great parting of the clouds.

    Are we keeping the main thing, the main thing?
    What needs decluttering?
    Are we just being active, or are we being productive?
    How can we shorten the distance between those two points?

    -----------
    Reading
    Small Talk – Debra Fine
    The Triumph of Christianity – Rodney Stark
    Paul – Donald Coogan
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430