• Growing...


    It was a rather simple science experiment.

    My 6-year-old brought home some dirt, a sunflower seed, and a coffee can. We placed the dirt and the seed in the can, watered it, then he took it to his room.

    A week later he brought it to me, angered and frustrated, he said ‘This doesn’t work!’ and he handed me his can of dry dirt – no plant, no flower.

    I asked if he had watered the seed, and if he had placed it in his windowsill so it could get sunlight. He said yes, he had watered it that once, a week ago and he had put it on his bookshelf, which was near the windowsill. But then, he’d forgotten about it.

    This result, as surprising as it was to him, was not to me. I told him that the problem probably had to do, less with the seed and the dirt, and more with the rather indolent way we were following instructions.

    This Sunday you and I will hear those epic words of Jesus that we know so well, ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.’

    And if you’re like me, you may ask, ‘Why don’t I always feel this rest? Why do I feel angry, frustrated, and worried about things? After all, I've given my life to Jesus, where's the peace?
    And on our good days we step back and ponder just how comprehensively we’re ‘coming’ to Jesus.

    Let’s face it, in our modern culture of fast answers, simple solutions, and instant results we can be programmed to forget that ‘coming to Jesus’ is not something we do overnight - not once a lifetime, once a year, or even once a week. Over and over again, we are to come. We are to bring all that we are to Jesus, coming to him physically, spiritually, financially, recreationally, sexually, and politically. There is no part of us that we withhold, there is no part of our life that goes unexamined, there is no period in which we are to back off.

    Like that seed in the coffee can, we are to tend to our lives with Christ, bringing all that we are, giving time and attention to this, our life’s most noble pursuit. How can we more completely ‘come to Christ’ today?
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430