• Dear Orlando Shooting Victims...


    Dear Orlando Nightclub Victims-

    I’ve never stuck my head in your club, but I can’t get your club out of my head.

    I have no idea what you’re living through. But I’m writing to say you’re not suffering alone.

    Yes, it was a sucker punch from an aggressor who may well have been repressing his own sexual identity and therefore didn’t hate you as much as he hated himself.

    So I am trying to connect with your loss by connecting with my own, and even then losing my loved one is still a chasm away from how you lost yours. I’m so sorry. Please know that I’m trying to be where you are. You are on my mind.

    That’s why I’m also praying for you. But, tell you the truth, I’m tired of praying. Columbine, Newtown, San Bernardino, in fact, there’s a multiple victim shooting on 5 out of every 6 days in America. And each time I wonder if maybe we’ll see something change – but we don’t. Yes, raging frustration is part of the pain we share.

    However I’m not just writing to lament, I am writing to remind myself that no substantial, long-term social change ever comes about in a finger snap. It takes snowflake after snowflake on the mount before the avalanche cascades. And when it does, watch out. All along remembering that every snowflake counts.

    I also want you to know that the petitions I’ll sign and the literature I’ll distribute are being done for you. I’ve had enough. And I’m really hoping the action you’ve inspired in me will be seen by others who will be encouraged, and thus encourage others.

    Finally, you’ve caused me to look deeper. Not for reasons, but for magic. I’ve experienced few tragedies from which something marveling emerged that would not have otherwise. So as we go about the dirty work before us I’m on the lookout for gold.

    Carry on my friends, your burden is being shared. Our human bonds of mutual concern are stronger than the thin threads of evil like this. We will win because goodness wins, and I pray that I can’t get that out of my head.
  • Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430