• Making Peace



    Years ago I confided in a close friend about my feelings toward another mutual friend.  My comments were expressly confidential – so you can imagine my anger when I learned that my close friend had spilled the beans, and told our mutual friend everything I’d said.  I was irritated and embarrassed - furious that my confidence had been betrayed.  I wanted to write my close friend off – and I did, for quite some time.  Has this ever happened to you?

    As we know, forgiveness and reconciliation are at the heart of Christianity. And many times this is the hard work of the Gospel – this is what Jesus means by ‘carrying the cross’ and ‘turning the other cheek.’ In this Sunday’s gospel we will hear Jesus give advice about how we’re supposed to handle disagreements like this – that we’re to confront the issue, not let it slide, that we’re supposed to ask others to help, if need be, and we’re to realize that this is God’s work – the healing of the world starts when you and I work to heal the brokenness that’s right around us.  How can we pray for world peace when we’re holding a grudge, refusing to own up to our parts in disordered relationships, and not allowing peace to rule in our lives?

    So we ask ourselves these really tough questions: with whom, at the present moment, might we have an egregious disagreement – who are we mad at – what brokenness around us needs our attention - and where is the Gospel calling us to make peace, for our good, and for the good of the world?


    Reading
    The Thank You Economy – Gary Vanyerchuk
    At the Still Point – Sarah Arthur
    Pigs in Heaven – Barbara Kingsolver
  • 0 comments:

    Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430