• Prayer at Work... or Not


    Prayer.

    It’s what we wish we did at the start of every day, but too often becomes an activity of last resort. Think of the popular phrases like a ‘Hail Mary’ football pass, ‘we haven’t got a prayer,’ and ‘when all else fails, pray.’

    Assessing our current economic situation has many of us in this position of 'last resort.' What this does is present an opportunity to ponder the importance of prayer. The Church of England recently released two prayers to help us do this.

    The first is for those who have been laid off. The second is for those who continue to work in jobs where others have been laid off.

    Prayer for the Unemployed
    Thank you, Heavenly Father, that in the middle of 
the sadness,
the anger,
the uncertainty,
the pain, I can talk to you.
    Hear me as I cry out in confusion,
help me to think clearly,
and calm my soul.
    As life carries on, 
may I know your presence with me
each and every day.
    And as I look to the future,help me to look for fresh opportunities, for new directions.
Guide me by your Spirit,
and show me your path, through Jesus, the way, the truth and the life. Amen.

    Prayer for those remaining in the workplace
    Life has changed:
colleagues have gone – laid off, out of work.

    Suddenly, what seemed so secure is now so very fragile.
    It's hard to know what I feel:
 sadness, certainly,
 guilt, almost, at still having a job to go to,
 and fear of the future:
 who will be next?
 how will I cope with the increased pressure of work?
    Lord Jesus, in the midst of this uncertainty, help me to keep going:
 to work to the best of my ability,
 taking each day at a time,
 and taking time each day to walk with you, for you are the way, the truth and the life. Amen.

    In what ways might you use these prayers?
    Can you copy them down and use them again?
    Who can you pass them along to?


    Resources:
    Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Philip Yancey
    Living Faithfully: As A Prayer Book People by John H. Westerhoff
    A User's Guide to the Book of Common Prayer: Morning And Evening Prayer (User's Guide to the Book of Common Prayer: Morning and Evening) by Christopher L. Webber
  • 0 comments:

    Total Pageviews

    Search This Blog

    Blog Archive

    Powered by Blogger.
    ADDRESS

    St. David's Episcopal Church, 16200 W. Twelve Mile Road, Southfield, MI 48076 USA

    EMAIL

    chris@stdavidssf.org

    TELEPHONE

    +011 248-557-5430